Amazon Assessment Report Launch November 12
Este evento se llevará a cabo en inglés y español. Para obtener información en español, haga clic aquí.
On November 12, 2021, in an official side event of the UNFCCC COP26 in Glasgow, the Science Panel for the Amazon (SPA) will launch its first Amazon Assessment Report.
Attend in-person ———- Join remotely
To avert a tipping point: Launch of the Amazon assessment report
November 12, 2021 | 14:00 to 15:00 GMT | 9:00 to 10:00 EDT | More Time Zones
- Emma Torres, Vice President for the Americas, SDSN
- Carlos Nobre, Co-chair of the Panel and Professor at the University of Sao Paulo
- Andrea Encalada, Co-chair of the Panel and Vice Rector at the University of San Francisco de Quito
- Mercedes Bustamante, member of the Science Steering Committee and Professor at the University of Brasilia
- Marielos Pena Claros, Professor, Wageningen University
- Gregorio Mirabal, General Coordinator, COICA
The SPA, composed of over 200 experts from across Latin America and the world, has completed work on an unprecedented, comprehensive assessment of the state of the Amazon Basin, current trends, and policy relevant considerations for the long-term sustainability of the ecosystem and its peoples. The Panel’s recommendations aim to promote conservation and advance sustainable development pathways for the region, with a vision of a healthy, standing forest and flowing rivers.
Its 34 chapters make recommendations to avert a tipping point and preserve globally-important ecosystem services. They include (i) an immediate moratorium on deforestation in areas nearing a tipping point, (ii) zero deforestation in the basin by 2030, (iii) restoration of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, and (iv) promotion of a sustainable bioeconomy based on traditional knowledge, science, technology, and innovation.
Join the Launch Event in Person in Glasgow
We welcome COP26 delegates to join us in person! You do not need to register in advance to attend the event in person. This event will take place within the WWF #PandaHub pavilion, located in Hall 4 in the Blue Zone. Participants must already have UNFCCC accreditation for access.