Science Officer, Science Panel for the Amazon (SPA)
The Science Panel for the Amazon, convened under the auspices of the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) represents the world’s first high-level science initiative dedicated to the survival of the Amazon. The first report of the SPA, launched at the COP26 in Glasgow, is the most in-depth and holistic report of its kind on the Amazon.
The state of urgency and the complexity and scope of the challenges the Amazon is facing calls for continued specialized research and scientific knowledge. It is thus paramount to ensure that the SPA remains active and operational in the long-term to develop much needed scientific assessments on the state of the Amazon and build and share knowledge to advance evidence-based sustainable development pathways for the Amazon.
The Science Officer of the Science Panel for the Amazon reports to the SPA Co-Chairs and works closely with the Scientific Steering Committee, the SPA Strategic Coordinator and SPA’s Technical Secretariat.
The Science Officer of the Science Panel for the Amazon will:
● Coordinate working group(s) undertaking SPA research reviews and analysis and producing SPA deliverables (white papers, policy briefs, articles, media materials, etc.).
● Manage and oversee SPA’s scientific work, including substantive reports and other written content.
● Provide leadership and strategic guidance to facilitate inter-WG communication, alignment, and cohesion.
● Set up rigorous review protocols and oversee review processes to ensure all SPA documents undergo proper vetting.
● Provide leadership and strategic guidance to facilitate SPA’s external engagement.
○ Propose fora where engagement is useful.
○ Represent SPA at public events, including workshops, webinars, scientific conferences, policy fora, and COPs.
● Generate original written content and demonstrate thought-leadership, through articles, op-eds, blogs, and longer outputs.
● Act as the substantive editor of all outputs being released on behalf of the SPA.
● Develop and execute an annual program strategy, endorsed by the Scientific Steering Committee and approved by the Co-Chairs.
● Oversee the Technical Secretariat in the management of SPA meetings.
● Oversee SPA membership processes and key partnerships.
● 10-15 years of experience in Amazon-related issues.
● Ph.D. degree in conservation- and/or sustainability-relevant fields.
● Excellent organizational and project leadership skills.
● Demonstrated track record of effectively leading a performance-based and outcome-based program. Candidates must have developed and executed strategies that have taken an organization or program to the next stage of impact and growth. They must be skilled in developing strategy.
● Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a matrixed team environment.
● Demonstrated experience managing a high-performance team with a deep commitment to diversity, inclusiveness, and empowerment.
● Ability to operate with independence, under pressure, and to meet deadlines and commitments.
● Excellent interpersonal skills require knowing when to use courtesy, tact, and/or diplomacy to effectively communicate with all constituents.
● Ability to effectively prioritize and produce high-quality work under time constraints.
● Ability to demonstrate integrity in deliverables, behavior, and demeanor.
● Fluent in English and Portuguese or Spanish.
Duration: One year with the possibility to renew. Candidates who are current faculty at institutions of higher education and interested in filling this position during a sabbatical will be considered.
Applications: Please fill out an application, including the attachment of a cover letter and CV, below. We will contact only those candidates whose profile meets our requirements. Apply here: https://sdsn.hrpartner.io/jobs/science-officer-lgdg3
Location: Seeking a candidate based in one of our SDSN global offices or will work remotely.
Salary: The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package.
SDSN provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to unlawful considerations of race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, genetic information, military or veteran status, age, and physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws
Apply here: https://sdsn.hrpartner.io/jobs/science-officer-lgdg3